Gulaschsuppe is a hearty and beloved soup in the Eastern part of Austria – the part that borders on Hungary. Like Kaiserschmarrn, you will find this recipe on menus in both fancy restaurants and casual dining establishments. It is a real comfort food.
I made a batch to take to Sugarloaf for our ski holiday. Unfortunately, the stunning paprika we brought home from Hungary this fall was a bit hotter than I had anticipated so hopefully the kiddos can handle it.
Breaking news: The paprika seems to have mellowed with the addition of the potatoes and the simmering so I am confident the kids will love it.
There are many variations on this soup but caraway and lots of good quality paprika are essentials. This is the time to eschew the stale old bottle of McCormicks for the brick red, gorgeous bag of pure paprika some aunt brought you back from a Danube river cruise stop in Budapest. The one you shoved to the back of your spice cupboard three years ago.
Ingredient list from ichkoche.at (translated by SWMBO with my comments in brackets)
- 2 ONIONS, CHOPPED
- 1 CLOVE GARLIC – (I USED 2)
- 200 G BACON – (I USED SLIVERED HUNGARIAN SALAMI AND CHOPPED VENISON SAUSAGE)
- 2 TBSP CLARIFIED BUTTER – (I USED BUTTER)
- 1/2 KG LEAN BEEF IN SMALL CUBES – (1 USED 1 KG, GRASS-FED)
- 1 TBSP FLOUR
- 1 KNIFE POINT OF CARAWAY SEEDS – (DIP YOUR KNIFE IN YOUR SPICE JAR AND WHATEVER COMES OUT IN ONE GO IS YOUR MEASUREMENT. I USE A LOT MORE CARAWAY THAN THIS)
- 1 COFFEE SPOON MARJORAM – (I.E. 1 TSP, I OMITTED BUT IT IS A STANDARD INGREDIENT)
- 25 G SWEET PAPRIKA
- 5 G HOT PAPRIKA – (I OMITTED BECAUSE SALAMI/PAPRIKA WAS HOT)
- 1 TBSP TOMATO PASTE
- 2 L STRONG BEEF BROTH – (I USED WATER – GASP!! BUT REMEMBER THAT I DOUBLED THE BEEF)
- 3-4 MEDIUM POTATOES
- CAYENNE – (I OMITTED)
- (I ADDED 2 CHOPPED GREEN PEPPERS. MOST RECIPES FOR GULASCHSUPPE WILL INCLUDE BELL PEPPERS)
Heat butter in a large pot. Add in onions, garlic, bell peppers, and bacon. Sauté about 5 minutes. Add in cubed beef and brown meat. Sprinkle flour, paprika, caraway (and marjoram if using) over and stir a few minutes on low heat. Stir in tomato paste. Pour hot broth/water over and turn heat up. Cook for about 1 1/2 hours, until soup is rich and beef is tender. During the last 1/2 hour, add in potatoes cut into small cubes.
Ski all day, then dig in!!